This recipe doesn't have a photo
Help out by adding one. We have some cool tools that make it easy.
Category: Main Course
Beef Braised with Sweet White Wine - TastyPlanner.com
Per serving: 491 calories, 44 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 26 g fat (6 g saturated), 2 g fiber, 511 mg sodium
Change it Up
More Traditional Brisket Add 2 tablespoons tomato paste and 1 tablespoon minced garlic to the slow cooker in step 2. Use beef stock instead of wine for the liquid.
Sweet Beef Brisket with Garlic When the meat is somewhat tender but not quite done, add 1 pound peeled, chunked sweet potatoes; 2 chopped carrots; 1/2 cup dried apricots; 1/2 cup dried, pitted prunes (or other dried fruit); and an entire head of garlic, cut in half horizontally, with most of the papery coating removed. Continue cooking for at least an hour, until all the fruits and vegetables are soft but not mushy. Serve with crusty bread, on which you can smear the soft garlic.
Recipe Source: Men's Health
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 lb beef brisket or chuck, in one piece
1 tsp salt
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
3 large or 4 medium onions, peeled and sliced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 or 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (optional)
1 cup sweet white wine, such as gewürztraminer or pinot grigio
1. Brown the meat (optional): Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet or sauté pan on medium-high heat. In a minute or so, when the oil is hot, add the beef. Brown it well on both sides (this will take a total of about 10 minutes).
2. Season the meat with the salt and pepper and combine with the vegetables and wine in the slow cooker. Set the heat to high (or low if you’ll be out or asleep for a while) and cook until the meat is tender, about 4 hours.
3. Remove the meat from the slow cooker and let it rest on a cutting board for a few minutes. Taste the sauce and add more seasoning if needed. (You want to taste the pepper.) Carve the meat and serve it with the sauce spooned on top, or cool and refrigerate the uncarved meat and sauce for up to a day before gently reheating. Makes 4 to 6 servings
- Times saved to recipe box: 4
- Times Recommended: 0
- Times added to planner: 1