Category: Main Course
Beef, Brown Rice and Mushroom Stew - TastyPlanner.com
Although a rich stew like this is often made with fatty chuck, bottom round provides a healthy alternative without comprmising flavor.
Recipe Source: http://www.weightwatchers.c...
Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/2 pounds bottom round, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 pound cremini or white button mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
2 tsp stemmed fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
One 12-ounce bottle Guinness stout
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray a large casserole or oven-safe saucepan with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add the meat (working in batches if necessary) and brown on all sides, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
3. Spray again with nonstick spray and add the onions. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until they release their liquid, about 4 minutes.
4. Stir in the thyme, caraway seeds, salt and pepper; cook until aromatic, about 15 seconds.
5. Pour in the broth and beer, stirring until the foam dissipates. Stir the beef back into the stew and bring to a simmer. Cover and bake until the meat and rice are tender, stirring once or twice, about 1 more hour.
- Times saved to recipe box: 1
- Times Recommended: 0
- Times added to planner: 0