This recipe doesn't have a photo
Help out by adding one. We have some cool tools that make it easy.
Category: Main Course
Chicken in a Squash Shell - TastyPlanner.com
Fat: 6 grams
non-stick cooking spray
1 lb each)
soy ginger sauce (recipe follows)
1 tbsp salad oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/2 cup each diced red bell pepper and jicama
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 small firm ripe tomatoes, diced
1 tsp sichuan peppercorns, coarsely ground, or 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
1/4 cup chopped green onions
Plain low-fat yogurt (optional)
2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp dry sherry
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp fresh ginger
1. Lightly coat 9 by 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. With a sharp, heavy knife, cut squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out seeds. Arrange squash, cut sides down, in pan. Bake in a 400 degree F oven until tender when pierced (about 40 minutes).
2. While squash is in oven prepare the soy-ginger sauce. Stir together reduced sodium soy sauce, dry sherry, chicken broth, cornstarch, brown sugar, and ginger. Until mixed well.
3. About 15 minutes before squash is done, heat oil in a wide frying pan, or wok over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until meat in center is no longer pink; cut to test 92 to 3 minutes).
4. Lift out with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add bell pepper, Jicama, oion, tomatoes, and peppercorns to pan; cook stirring for 5 minutes.
5. Add sacue boil until thickened. Return chicken and any juices to pan, remove from heat and keep warm.
6. Place squash in individual bowls and fill with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with green onions. Offer with yogurt, if desired.
- Times saved to recipe box: 2
- Times Recommended: 0
- Times added to planner: 1