Category: Side Dish
Chilli Beans - TastyPlanner.com
A hearty homestyle dish combining tasty beans with chickpeas and and some other veggies and a bit of spice. Great for those cold winter days, with some corn chips, or simply by its self.
Half a large onion (diced)
2 medium sized carrots (chunks)
1 tin cannellini beans (400g Net)
1 tin diced tomatoes (400g Net)
1 medium fresh tomato (diced)
2.5 cups of chicken stock
1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
ground cayenne pepper
a bay leaf
1. Saute onions in a large saucepan for 5 minutes
2. Add carrots and saute for a further 2 minutes
3. Add chicken stock and bay leaf and simmer for 5 minutes
4. Add diced tomatoes (fresh and canned), chickpeas, beans, cumin and cayenne to taste, allow to simmer over a medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
5. Serve in a bowl and top with grated cheese
You could substitute basically any other type of beans for the ones I have listed here, and you could do the same for the chickpeas. Enjoy.