Category: Side Dish
Healthy Sourdough Bread - TastyPlanner.com
Every one loves sourdough! What about a healthy sourdough bread?
I took a classic recipe and made it a little more healthy for those who want to watch what they eat or for those on strict diets!
Recipe Source: AllRecipes.com
4 3/4 Cups - Brown Rice Flour
3 Tablespoons - Raw Sugar
2 1/2 Teaspoons - sea salt
1 (.25 ounce) Packet - Active Dry Yeast
1 Cup - Warm Low Fat Milk
2 Tablespoons - Softened Margarine
1 1/2 Cups - Sourdough Starter (Goldrush Sourdough Starter)
1 Large - Cage Free Egg (optional)
1/4 Cup - Chopped Yellow Onions (optional)
1 Tablespoon - water
1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and dry yeast. Then add milk and softened margarine. Stir in starter. Mix in rest of flour gradually, you may need more depending on your climate.
2. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turn once to oil surface, and cover. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
3. Punch down, and let rest 15 minutes. Shape into loaves. Place on a greased baking pan. Allow to rise for another 1 hour, or until doubled.
4. (If Desired) Brush egg wash over tops of loaves, and sprinkle with chopped onion.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or till done.