This recipe doesn't have a photo
Help out by adding one. We have some cool tools that make it easy.
Category: Main Course
Heavy Mental Pot Raost - TastyPlanner.com
Chef: Eric west
Pot roast with a Guinness based sweet gravy. Simply amazing!
Recipe Source: Dude Food
2 1.4-ounce boxes onion soup mix
1 1.2-ounce package brown gravy mix
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 pint strong dark stout (such as Guinness)
1 square semisweet chocolate
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 1/4 pounds beef pot roast
3 BAKING POTATOES
Onion slices (optional)
1. Chop chocolate into as small of pieces as possible.
2. Combine the onion soup mix, brown gravy mix and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Blend in the ketchup and stout. Let stand for 30 minutes. Add the chopped chocolate and cinnamon.
3. Meanwhile preheat oven to 325 degrees F
4. Pour stout mixture over bottom of a roasting pan and add the pot roast, turning once to coat. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 2 hours.
5. Meanwhile rinse potatoes and cut into quarter or smaller pieces. If using carrots and onions, cut into desired sizes as well.
6. Remove the pan from the oven and turn the meat over. Add the potatoes and tightly recover the pan. Cook 2 hours or until meat is fork-tender. Remove the pan again and carefully pour off any liquid into a saucepan. Cover the roast and set aside.
7. Cook liquid over medium-high heat until thick and gravy like, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Slice the meat and arrange on a platter with the potatoes. Pour 1 cup of the gravy on top. Serve extra gravy at the table.