This recipe doesn't have a photo
Help out by adding one. We have some cool tools that make it easy.
Category: Side Dish
Mini Calzones - TastyPlanner.com
These can be baked ahead and reheated just before serving to save time!
Fat: 1 Gram
Whole Wheat dough (recipe follows)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp shallots
2 oz black forest ham, chopped
4 cups chopped spinach
1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
for whole wheat dough:
3/4 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1. Pour 3/4 cup warm water into a large mixing bowl. sprinkle with one package yeast; let stand until foamy (about 10 minutes). Add 1 tsp salt and sugar, and 1 cup all purpose flour; beat until smooth. Beat in about 1 cup whole wheat flour, or enough to make a stiff dough.
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes), adding more all purpose flour as needed to prevent sticking. Place in an oiled bowl; turn over to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour).
3. While dough is rising heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a wide frying pan over medium high heat. Add shallots and ham and cook, stirring occasionalloy, until shallots are soft (about 7 minutes).
4. Add spinach and cook until liquid has evaporated (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat. Add Ricotta and nutmeg and mix well. Let cool.
5. Punch dough down and shape into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll into a circle 1/8 inch thick. Using a 3 inch cookie cutter, cut out circles. Place about 1 tbsp of the spinach filling on each circle.
6. Fold dough over, pinching edges together.
7. Sprinkle a lightly greased baking sheet with cornmeal. Arrange calzones on top and brush lightly with remaining oil; prick tops with a fork. Bake in a 425 degree oven until lightly warm (about 10 minutes).