Category: Side Dish
Rice, Asparagus and Cucumber Salad - TastyPlanner.com
Chef: Dan Baldwin
Cooked asparagus, diced English cucumber, and green onion are folded into long-grained rice and chilled. The dill/mustard vinaigrette is chilled as well. Just before serving, the dressing is folded into the rice salad and served in a bowl lined with lettuce leaves. Wonderful.
1 ¾ cups water
1 cup long-grain white rice
1 pound thin asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1 inch
1 ½ cups English cucumber - peeled, seeded and chopped
3 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
½ teaspoon dry mustard
2 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ cup chopped fresh dill weed
4 heads butter lettuce
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 3/4 cups water to boil. Add rice; return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Fluff with fork; transfer to bowl. Cool to room temperature.
2. Cook asparagus in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool. Cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Add asparagus, cucumber and green onions to rice.
3. Whisk together the mustard, sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, oil and chopped dill. Cover salad and dressing separately. Refrigerate until chilled.
4. Pour dressing into salad and season with salt and pepper. Line large bowl with lettuce and mound salad in bowl. Garnish with dill sprigs.
- Times saved to recipe box: 98
- Times Recommended: 0
- Times added to planner: 59