Triple-Chocolate Cake - TastyPlanner.com
Chef: Pearl Pallister
Attention, chocoholics: This chocolate chip-studded chocolate cake with white chocolate frosting is meant for you!
Recipe Source: Betty Crocker
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons corn syrup
White Chocolate Glaze
1/4 cup white vanilla baking chips
1 teaspoon shortening
1. Heat oven to 325°F. Grease 9-inch round cake pan. In 2-quart heavy saucepan, melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips and 1/2 cup butter over low heat, stirring constantly; cool 5 minutes. Stir in flour until smooth. Stir in egg yolks until well blended.
2. In large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until soft peaks form. Fold chocolate mixture into egg whites. Spread in pan.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (top will appear dry and cracked). Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove cake from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Place cake on serving plate.
4. In 1-quart saucepan, heat remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons butter and the corn syrup over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate chips are melted. Spread over top of cake, allowing some to drizzle down side.
5. In 1-quart saucepan, melt glaze ingredients over low heat, stirring constantly. Drizzle over top of cake.
Top this pretty cake with white chocolate curls for a finishing touch. Make the curls by pulling a vegetable peeler toward you across a white baking bar. Press firmly, using long, thin strokes.
To add a little pizzazz, after drizzling with the glaze, pull a knife through the chocolate to make swirls.
Make sure you melt the white baking chips for glaze over low heat. The chips can scorch or burn easily.
- Times saved to recipe box: 17
- Times Recommended: 0
- Times added to planner: 2