Vanilla Custard Ice Cream - TastyPlanner.com
This recipe can be altered to create many other ice cream flavors where you want a rich, creamy ice cream base. Try adding coconut, chocolate chips, or flavorings other than vanilla for a customizable dessert!
4 egg yolks
1 cup milk
1 cup double/heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar or caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or according to taste)
1. Beat and mix together the egg yolks and sugar until thick.
2. Separately, pour the milk into a saucepan and scald it (bring slowly up to boiling point).
3. Pour the hot milk into the egg yolks and sugar mix whilst continuously stirring. Add vanilla.
4. Pour the mixture back into the pan and heat gently, stirring until the custard thickens – DO NOT BRING TO THE BOIL OR IT WILL PROBABLY CURDLE.
5. When you can see a film form over the back of your spoon it’s time to remove the saucepan from the heat. Leave to cool.
6. When the custard base is cold stir in the cream. Transfer the whole mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.