This recipe doesn't have a photo
Help out by adding one. We have some cool tools that make it easy.
Category: Main Course
Vietnamese pho with spiced chicken balls - TastyPlanner.com
Vietnamese pho with spiced chicken balls
2 litres chicken stock (1.5)
2 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, grated
4 star anise
4 kaffir lime leaves
1 red chilli
150 grams vermicelli rice noodles
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 red chillies
450 grams chicken mince
4 spring onions, very finely sliced
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 kaffir lime, zest only
1 tbsp sunflower oil
4 spring onions, finely sliced
75 grams bean sprouts
4 coriander leaves
1 lime, cut into wedges
1. For the pho broth, pour the chicken stock into a large heavy-based saucepan.
2. Add the ginger, garlic, star anise, kaffir lime leaves and peppercorns.
3. Roughly chop one of the chillies and add to the stock.
4. Heat the stock to a gentle simmer and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Place the noodles in a bowl. Pour boiling water over the noodles and leave to stand for ten minutes (or cook according to packet instructions). Drain and set aside.
6. Strain the stock to remove the herbs and spices and return the strained liquid to the pan and add the 2tbsp of fish sauce.
7. For the chicken balls, de-seed and finely chop the red chillies and put into a food processor.
8. Add the chicken, spring onions, coriander, 2tbsp of fish sauce and the kaffir lime zest and blend until mixed together.
9. Roll the chicken mixture into bite-sized balls and place in the fridge for ten minutes, or until ready to use.
10. Heat a large frying pan. Add the oil and then the chicken balls and stir fry
over a high heat for 6-7 minutes, until golden brown and almost cooked through. You will to keep them moving all the time to ensure they colour evenly.
11. Just before serving, add the chicken balls to the stock to cook thoroughly.
12. To serve, warm four deep bowls and divide the noodles among them. Next pour over the soup and chicken balls, ensuring you divide them evenly between the bowls. Finally garnish with spring onions, bean sprouts, coriander leaves and lime wedges.
- Times saved to recipe box: 12
- Times Recommended: 0
- Times added to planner: 2